19/11/2009

2012 thumbs up!

I won't hesitate to admit that I was a little skeptical on first hearing about this film and seeing the trailers; thinking it wouldn't be "my kind of film" at all. However, after having sat two rows back from the action on the big screen , I can safely say that my initial thoughts were very wrong!

Not normally being a particularly big appreciator of visual/special effects, I was thoroughly impressed with this aspect of the film throughout - I even felt a little unsafe in my cinema seat at some points! The earthquake effects, volcanoes, tsunamis, etc. were all done extremely well and - although perhaps a little over-the-top in parts - made the film seem scarily real. The concept on which the film is based - that the world will end on 20/12/2012, according to Roman predictions - is a strong idea, which people can begin to relate to and think about; creating great discussion and debate (particularly among my housemates!). The director, Ronald Emmerich, encorporates engaging sub-plots during the film which almost allow the viewer to relate closely to the 'everyday' characters. I did feel, however, that some parts were a little ridiculous - in the sense that they were virtually impossible to happen and so seemed a bit 'cliché' when they worked out happily! I'd definitely recommend seeing 2012 overall....just try not to think too much about our potential future....!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan either, but after that i quite fancy going. Special effects always make any film genre way more exciting. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same before i went, but the CGI was brilliant. Although some parts a little farfetched, i agree.
    It all ends up a really entertaining film!

    ReplyDelete