25/11/2009

Design for Life


As mentioned in one of my earlier blog posts about the "Ukraine's Got Talent" winner, and how we're finally being exposed to rarer talents which don't only involve the typical singing and dancing - I feel that BBC2's "Design for Life" programme explores a talent that the general public are not often enough told about. Perhaps this is because I am a 'design-person' myself and so would like to see more shows like this; but it still makes excellent viewing even for the 'not so design-oriented' viewers! "Design for Life" has been compared to the BBC1 show, "The Apprentice"....Philippe Starck vs. Sir Alan?! The two characters certainly share some similarities, and these make good, entertaining viewing for the public; with both of them being experts in their fields, their blunt comments to contestants keep the audience curious to see if anyone dares argue back!

"Design for Life" is based around the French product designer, Philippe Starck, selecting a group of young designers with potential to go far in the field. Over the duration of the programme, he - and his team of co-designers - pick-off the weaker contestants and send them home, until only 2 remain in the grand finale. The prize is a 6 month placement at Starck's company in Paris, and it really is a once in a lifetime opportunity - hence why the competition becomes so fierce during the show!

It wasn't the winning final design of the most recent series, however, that really caught my attention, but the product designed by Michael Cloke, the runner-up. He designed a lap-tray for the blind; where they could lace their dinner plate, a glass, and cutlery on a cleverly balanced tray. It uses magnets to hold the items in place securely when not in use, and the design includes braille to help the user even further. I felt that it was a very sophisticated design, and not overly-complex; meeting the brief - to design something to help people - very accurately.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree in regards to favouring Mike's design. I have to admit Ilsa's winning design was very sleek, yet I could see Mike's design as being something so practical and simple. I also loved the logo design for his brand - with the tilted glass on the slippery tray, containing bubbles, that were actually braille. I love Starck's enthusiasm too he's crazy!

    rebekkabaddeley.blogspot.com
    www.rebekkabaddeley.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - Ilsa's design (a plastic implement used to help people stand up by hooking gently behind the leg - also doubled-up to act as a walking stick) was very good too. It was completely original and so I can see why Starck chose her as the overall winner. It was a tough call between Mike and Ilsa in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete