02/12/2009

Tord Boontje




http://www.tordboontje.com/

Whilst browsing through 'Design Week', I came across a piece of graphic design work by Tord Boontje, which caught my attention. Typography is one of my greatest interests within design and I love the way this designer subtly encorporates the type into the image. This is a very delicate design and I like the authentic vibe produced by the hand-drawn images and type.

Born in the Netherlands, the designer Tord Boontje has been commissioned for a number of projects and installations which I had a look at on his website (http://www.tordboontje.com). I'd recommend having at look at some of his work as he has a very unique style - very intricate and inspired by nature and floral designs. It may sound stereotypical, but I must admit that on first seeing his work, I assumed that the designer was female - simply because of the prominent use of floral work and the overall delicacy of the designs. It is more common to find female designers with this kind of style.

Some of Boontje's work includes shadow installations, and the way that he works with cut-outs and lights is amazing and creates very soft, gentle effects. He tends to use low lighting; which works well with the floral designs and curving nature of the cut-outs. These installations vary in size and purpose - from art exhibitions, to promotions for Swarovski Crystals - and I like the continuity in his style that can be seen in all the different mediums that he uses.

1 comment:

  1. Really beautiful work, and such a subtle employment of typography, I love the way he creates a 3D environment with such simple materials yet with such intricate design.

    ReplyDelete